Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Most Important Blog In The Country On Obama's Speech

Help! Help! I'm being held hostage! Nilda is making me watch Obama's speech and forcing me to write a blog post about it, and I can't finish watching John Adams until I do:

  • The speech did exactly what it had to do. It took the focus away from the Pastor's comments and shifted it to race issues that persist in America.
  • No other politician would be able to make this speech. Only a black man who has somehow found a way to connect with white audiences without scaring them (I think it's the white grandparents), would be able to come up with the right chemistry to address race in such a blunt manner. It makes you wonder just how deep an Obama presidency might go to changing the country.
  • Instead of trying to distance himself from from the pastor and the church, he connected it to its polar opposite, his white grandmother who held biased feelings, then found herself raising a black grandchild. He used the church to illustrate a side of the country that many don't see.
  • He was right to defend the church he's belonged to for so many years. Simply abandoning it, while safe and easy, would have made him look weak. Still, though, he called Jeremiah his "former" Pastor.
  • The speech felt important. You can see high school history students reading it 50 years from now. You gotta love an Obama speech.
  • Not sure how I feel about the time of day he chose to make the speech. Doing it in the morning gave him the day's headlines, but it also limited the speech's audience to commentary and a few snippets. Then again, he never would have been able to make a 40 minute speech in primetime.
  • Obama's speech turned him into the anti-racism candidate, that a vote for him is a vote against racism. He turned the mere fulfillment of his platform (schools, jobs, healthcare), into the remedy for racism.
  • This is exactly the kind of speech that I would want a President to give. Doesn't try to hide race, doesn't sugar coat it, but addresses it head on and gives a path to correct it.
  • I can't help but see a connection between the sudden interest in Adams and the Obama campaign. John Adams was known for speaking and had a remarkable talent for calling others to action, and despite his inexperience, he made a remarkable contribution. Let's see how this one turns out.
  • For those who are interested, here's the full video. It's like a line at Disney. It's long, but it moves quick:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. If you like John Adams (which I did) you'll LOVE 1776: The Musical. Specifically, the opening number "Sit Down, John!" The second HBO episode was based on letters between Abigail and John. Good stuff!

2. The Obama speech makes me dislike him as a candidate. Before, I just thought that his fans/voters were a bit overbearing. After this speech, it is evident that he will do anything to win the nomination (not in a positive way). After playing the race card as a proud black candidate for this entire race, and currently losing steam with the white voters in PA, it is like he suddenly remembered that he is 1/2 white. Just like Halle Berry did at the Oscars. It was annoying when she did it and it is annoying when he does it!

DorothyMantooth said...

Yays!! Glad Nil made you weigh in, B-Dub. This speech was definitely worth the time, and I think you make some good points.


I didn't have a chance to actually watch the speech (though I think it would have been even more moving if I had), but just reading the transcript on HuffPo made me tear up. No kidding! I thought it was just an incredibly well thought out and beautifully put oratory by just about the only politician who was in a position to sell it. (As you correctly noted, Brian.)

As for the anonymous commenter above (Harley?), I gotta say... I have no idea how what you took away from this speech was that Obama will do anything to win. I'd love for you to clarify. (Halle Berry said something during her Oscars acceptance speech that I would compare far more readily to what Paterson said last week after "accepting" Spitzer's resignation. And while I'm not sure I would call her speech "annoying," per se, I just can't, for the life of me, find it in me to compare what a (gorgeous!) starlet has to say about the entertainment industry with what what a half-black presidential candidate has to say about race relations in our country.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Irene, having watched the entire speech and had tears well up in my eyes and the hairs on my neck stand up, I think he is more incredible and deeper than I ever imagined him before. It is truly an incredible thing when a (brilliant) person can simultaneously stand up for what s/he believes in (even if at odds with the majority) while making us feel more closely related to them. Who doesn't have a family member who is politically incorrect, or even filled with racial insensitivity? It was a powerful message to deliver and he did it eloquently and with sensitivity.

I have no idea who anonymous is, but it doesn't really matter. After reading similar (and much worse) comments on the net, I have come to the conclusion that this country is FULL of bigots and that that constituency is never going to see Obama for who he really is because they see him through tainted eyes, whether they know it or not. I have experienced racism in its many forms, whether because I was Hispanic or not Hispanic enough (my old favorite), because of my religion (my new favorite) or because I am a woman, it is all the same - it all FEELS the same: horrible. It has made me cry at night and wonder where the ignorance and hatred from these people comes from - I have no answer. But, it is BECAUSE of our future children: Spanish-speaking, Latino-Jews with a boatload of family traditions to look forward to, that I will proudly cast my vote for Obama - a man who has gone through life experiencing the racism that comes with being (and looking like) a black man. To say that HE has "played the race card" serves to prove either ignorance or a complete lack of attention to Obama during the race thus far. He has strived not to inject race into his campaign (and received a backlash for that too), but he was put into a position where not to address the black community would be to disavow a part of his own culture - I couldn't respect or vote for a person who didn't have the courage to accept ALL of what makes them who they are...

dnale13 said...

I don't have an email for you anymore...figured I'd drop you a line here. Email me: dana@mxpx.com