Monday, March 24, 2008

Governor What's His Name

So I'm on the treadmill at the gym tonight (honest!), and they have NY1's "Inside City Hall" on the televisions. The governor was answering questions and I'm following the closed captioning. They ask him tough questions, and I'm impressed with his answers. He's honest about trying marijuana and cocaine in his early 20s and actually seems to have a sense of humor.

I like this governor. I respect him for what he's accomplished without sight, and his humor and candor over the past few weeks have brought a refreshing sense of reality to state politics. I've never been interested in Albany before, even though I liked Spitzer, and for the first time, I want to know what's happening in Albany. That's mostly because I want to follow this governor.

Then I realize that I can't remember his name. I'm not even sure if I ever knew his name. Then I remember that his name is Paterson. His name is Paterson, right? But it doesn't really matter because I've never actually heard him speak. I've seen news reports about him and read quotes in the paper, but I've never heard his voice. Reading this closed captioning is the closest I've come to actually listening to his voice.

So how can I have an actual opinion about this governor if I know so little about him? Do I have enough information, or am I just blindly following what the media tells me? Then again, why do I even need to hear his voice? For centuries, the masses had opinions about leaders without even seeing what they looked like. But has the access to information changed what it takes to be independent about current events?

Then my scalp gets cold, the treadmill seems to get faster and I could care less about the governor. Yeah, I overdid it at the gym, tonight.

2 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Sigh. Jer & I should SOOO be working out...

Also, Paterson really is very appealing, I think. And you'll be glad to know his speaking voice is really quite mellifluous!

Anonymous said...

Paterson is a comedian - for real! He had me cracking up during his first address as governor. Hopefully, he's as good as telling jokes as he is at governing.

Brian is on the "30 day plan" - that's: gym, pilates duets with me, and "healthy" eating. It's no holds barred on the cruise! ha ha