Thursday, March 6, 2008

Justice Douchebag

Once again, I was a judge for New York Law School's moot court competition tonight. The panel was two of us and a partner of ____ & ____, a white shoe firm, who's also an adjunct at NYLS.

The first competitor, from a law school down south, was deaf and argued through two interpreters: one to translate what he was saying; one to translate for him what was being said. Needless to say, I was remarkably impressed that this kid had the balls to enter a moot court competition. His being selected to represent his school in this competition confirmed his ability. My first reaction was to give him a perfect score just for entering, but then I thought that I'd show more respect by judging him based on his performance, and he was very good. He knew his stuff and was very prepared to argue, and I know I'm a tough bench.

So we're giving our feedback after the argument, and wouldn't you know that the reaction of this asshole from ____ & ____ is that this student is "at a disadvantage" because of his "situation." He says that this student is unable to "stress" certain points with his voice, and needs to figure out a way to "level the playing field."

What a fucking dick! Here is this student, who has had to work harder than anyone else in the room, and doing a freakin' great job at it, and this guy has to throw it back in his face that he's deaf. Like he doesn't know. Friggin' idiot. As I write this now, Nilda is telling me that I'm typing too loud. I told this student that I thought the playing field was definitely level, that he had no problems stressing certain points, and that he was very effective, which he was. Schwartz's reaction was great: "Classic ____ & ____."

Moral of the story: don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

5 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Nice post, Brian!!
I could hear you typing all the way in Brooklyn! (heh)
This just goes to prove my point: Lawyers from _____ & _____ SUCK!
;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know a guy who used to work at _____ & ______ - he was a decent person. Bad lawyer, but hell of a guy.

corey said...

That guy's an ignoramus and a dick. In my experience working with deaf people, it's clear that the job of an interpreter is to convey not just the content but the tone of what the deaf person's signing. They're just as expressive as hearing/speaking folks. I repeat, that guy is a dick.

Boywonderesq said...

Thanks, Corey. My whole office was talking about it all day, how the guy was totally out of line. And you're right, the interpreter did a very good job of expressing his points.

The thing is, I don't think the guy was trying to be a dick, I think he just thought he was giving a good pointer. Some people are too stupid to know how insensitive and utterly ignorant they are.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late on this but I assume you are talking about Scott Van Nice from Chase College of Law, right? The guy is impressive and amazing at moot court, I went to law school at the same time he did and I used to come home and rave to my husband about how awesome he was at arguing and the great dynamic he had with his interpreters (he actually just married the pretty blonde one!).

The guy also goes to school at night and during the day he is a top executive in the computer engineering department at Procter & Gamble, great guy.