Friday, August 29, 2008

Why I Didn't Live Blog Obama's Speech

The world needs to know! One thing I've learned is that you can't trust your initial reaction to Obama's speeches. His speech on race was powerful and deep and it took time for me to really gauge my reaction. Also, I wanted to actually pay attention. And it was late. And I don't see anonymous blogging, Matt.

The day after, I thought it was great. Amazing. Everything it should and needed to be. He stayed away from the lofty ideals that were the hallmark of his earlier speeches, in favor a more grounded approach to win over those blue collar workers that everyone thinks matter. What struck me most was the recognition that the country has lost a common purpose for the big issue. On gun control and immigration, he proposed finding common ground rather than the divisive politics we're all sick of. He even had the balls to bring up gay marriage. The overall theme was about the promise of America. He mentioned hope only once, at the end. The only thing that was missing was any mention of national security. I would have expected him to come out on torture, but he never went near the issue.

In short, I thought it was a great convention. The Clintons were great and there's no question that the party is united. And Biden is universally considered a great addition. Obama had a rough summer, but the plan appears to have been to get things started at the convention.

McCain isn't looking any better and his VP choice doesn't help. Yes, she's a woman, but her youth nullifies any argument that Obama lacks experience. But she has the main qualification in having a uterus, so I guess that's enough.

Man, what a boring post. Next time, I'm doing the bullets again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, and McCain's VP choice mispronounced nuclear in her speech today: "nu-ca-ler" - reminds me of Bush, why am I not surprised?