Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Obama & Religion

Obama's recent announcement that he'll promote faith-based programs has me worried. After the past eight years of Bush and his "higher father," I trust mixing politics and religion about as much as I trust Nilda in Crate & Barrel. Even worse, this reeks of pandering to the evangelicals, who, according to a poll I saw tonight on Olbermann, heavily favor McCain.

On the other hand, the faith-based programs have actually done a lot of good and should be supported. Not to give any credit to Bono, but he said that once Christians realized that AIDS victims in Africa are the lepers of our time, they, to their credit, took action to help. Lumping them together with Bush isn't fair, since Bush just used them to get elected. Furthermore, Obama's start as a community organizer focused a lot on churches, so he knows first hand how religion can touch the people government should be helping.

So I'll give Obama this one, but I'm keeping my eye on him. Like I say to Nilda, "No Jesus in the house!"

No comments: