Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mates of State

In 2004 (I think), Andrew and I saw a Cake show at Wester Hall during their Comfort Eagle period. Cake was great, but what really stuck with me was the opening act, Mates of State. It was a husband and pregnant wife (which really impressed me), playing drums and organ, respectively. I'm generally not into two person acts and don't like the White Stripes (no bass!), but MOS was amazing. They had innovative key and tempo changes and sang mostly meaningless lyrics with dueling harmonies. They were amazing and Andrew bought the album, Team Boo, at the show, which I promptly stole from him. It wasn't long until I bought all their other albums, as well.

They came out with a new album in May and finally appear to be getting press. They were featured in NY Magazine and appeared on Conan. They keep a blog, Band on the Diaper Run, which I link to on the right.

The new album isn't as good as the old stuff. They've got more musicians now, less gibberish lyrics and appear to have settled down with their two kids. But it's still great. Here's the newly released video of "My Only Offer," the best song on the new album. Notice the bass on the track:



Back to work.

2 comments:

Don't Be So Dramatical said...

I was there too, fool!

Boywonderesq said...

Yeah, but you were late, so you're in time out.