Saturday, May 23, 2009

What Hell Hath Wrought

And this is just the bathroom! It went from this...


...to this.

Kind of makes you think that the urine yellow wasn't such a bad choice after all. Then we were told that beneath the hideous tiles on the floor, lied nothing but chunks of broken up concrete. If you dig just a little, there's nothing but small rocks that go all the way to the basement. This means that we get the lovely surprise of having to pour concrete AND get a new tub, since for some reason that is far beyond me, they can't put down a new floor and keep the tub.

Nilda surveys what she has done.

We've barely started the demo, and the apartment's already starting to fill with rubble. I say we give it to charity, since I'm like that.

  • Today, I bought a bathtub, researched medicine cabinets, ordered a bathroom faucet and spent hours on line looking at lighting fixtures for the living room. I now know the difference between a chandelier and a pendant light. What's happening to me???
  • We had a serious crisis this week - we couldn't find shower fixtures that we like. God, that sounds bad when I say it out loud.
  • Nilda and I have realized that whatever fixture or piece we like, we inevitably be the most expensive item there is.
  • How on Earth can anyone justify $680 for a shower head? Whoever invented brushed nickel can go to hell.
  • We got lucky when we finally found reasonably-priced fixtures at Lowe's. This, of course, meant that we had to go to the Lowe's located in the middle of fucking nowhere Brooklyn.

Looking at the bathroom today, Nilda and I saw that there were pieces of newspaper shoved between the studs, for some reason. I was hoping to find some kind of old story like the kind John Lennon found that formed the basis of Mr. Kite. All I got was a memoriam to Nathan M. Ohrbach from November 1972. Happy Memorial Day, Mr. Ohrbach.

4 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

You were in Brooklyn??!!! BASTARDS!

TheMediaDude said...

Pussy.

Unknown said...

Hi there - I was doing some digging about my family and stumbled upon this photo! Nathan Ohrbach was part my ancestry! He was the founder of Ohrbach's (the department store) back in the day. Small world!!!

Boywonderesq said...

That's crazy! Thanks for posting. And thanks for checking thIs defunct blog!