Friday, May 1, 2009

Justice Souter's Retirement

Here is the text of Justice Souter's letter to the president announcing his retirement:

"Dear Mr. President:
When the Supreme Court rises for the summer recess this year, I intend to retire from regular active service as a Justice, under the provisions of 28 US.C. § 371(b)(l), having attained the age and met the service requirements of subsection(c) of that section. I mean to continue to render substantial judicial service as an Associate Justice.
Yours respectfully,
David Souter"

I wondered what "the provisions of 28 US.C. § 371(b)(l)" were, so I looked them up. Yeah, I'm cool like that. Turns out that federal judges, if they serve on the bench long enough, are entitled to receive their annual salary for the rest of their life. So Justice Souter, who's retirement was on the cover of every major newspaper today, made sure in his letter that he confirmed his pension, like any smart employee would.

I'll bet he had a lawyer help him write this letter.

2 comments:

your wife said...

you think you're so funny, don't you? lol

DorothyMantooth said...

*whose*

Oh, Brian.