Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sex & The Shitty: Post-Mortem

I sat in a theater full of women watching Sex & The City and pondered my blog. The world needs to know how The Most Important Blog In The World would respond, and I recognized the significance of the responsibility I was to bare. But that was a week ago and I still hadn't written anything. Here goes.

I did not hate the movie. There I said it, and that's as close to a "like" as you're going to get. I think it helped that I saw the movie in a crowd of fans. The lobby was full of women looking like they were getting ready to go "dancing," female code for going out to have guys hit on them. Waiting for the movie to start, Nilda had fun picking out how many "husbands" she could find. She found three husbands, not counting the two male couples who were there together.

Without giving away any of the plot for the ladies who have not seen it yet (i.e., Matt), the movie was not bogged down by many of the flaws from the show. There was no random sex, at least among the characters, and there wasn't enough of the male characters to make them a focus of everything. The movie, if anything, was a statement about sexuality and women over 40.

Reaction has been mixed, and here's where I see the spilt: If you liked the series finale, you'll hate the movie; if you didn't like the finale or were ambivalent, you'll love the movie. The movie will be loved most by women who - correctly - thought the finale was contrived and a little too easy. This is the big emotional crescendo that they had hoped for.

But the crying. Oy, the crying. But that's why they were there! You could smell estrogen. The smart ones, like Nilda, didn't wear mascara because they were prepared. Whoever wrote this knew that they were writing a movie for women to watch after a break-up. The dvd sales are going to be through the roof on this one!

3 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

You know, Brian, you can get arrested for baring your "responsibility" in public.

Also, my dad told me this weekend that he wanted to see this movie and I responded, "What are you, a woman?" When I later told my mom that my dad wanted to see it, she said, "What is he, gay?"

So there you have it. The V____ Women agree.

TheMediaDude said...

See, World? I told you!

Boywonderesq said...

Say what you want, but seeing the movie has finally made me get over the show. The show was a movement, but the movie was just a movie and as easily dismissed. I don't care about sex and the city enough anymore to hate it.