Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Election Bored

I've come to accept that Nilda and I are Obama's base. When all the talking heads talk about how Obama won the college-educated liberals, all I can think is, "That's us!" The problem is that things can only go downhill from here.

I was so excited for Obama to win the nomination. I looked forward to Obama being the first democrat to break through the Republican cloud and finally make the changes that me and all my elitist, liberal friends were hoping for. But then, to my utter dismay, John McCain turned out to be a terrible candidate. From his horrific green screen speech to his embrace of Bush's hated policies, he has no idea how to motivate his own party, much less the general electorate. If anything, McCain makes Obama look even sharper and more appealing as the future of this country.

So the general election has become boring. Obama looks like he's going to waltz through to the election and I won't get the climactic showdown I was hoping for. If anything, it seems clear that the country is no where near McCain's position. My biggest fear is that Obama (or a supporter) is going to do something stupid, either a flubbed comment or speech that doesn't meet my unreasonably high expectations. I've peaked, and it's only June.

To all the Clinton supporters still mourning her loss, I know it's tough to watch somebody you don't really trust take the lead. But remember, this is how the rest of us felt throughout the entire Clinton era. It's your turn to take the backseat, now.

Also, here's a great New York Magazine article about the intricacies of Obama's speeches, how his use of alliteration, groupings of three and simple phrases has raised the bar on speech-making in American politics.
Then look at this idiotic op-ed by David Brooks about how Bush was sooooo smart for the surge, even though everyone at the time said he should have done that a long time ago. Maybe, David, if Bush hadn't ignored common sense up until that time, the surge wouldn't have been necessary.

Finally, here's a great completely unrelated video from my mom. Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

DorothyMantooth said...

I wanna be that ball girl when I grow up!

(Wait. That sounds so much dirtier than what I was going for...)