Thursday, June 5, 2008

Keep Your Mazel Tov

Over the past few days, I've heard, "It must be happy at your house" or "Congratulations" or some other question implying that I should feel some kind of personal satisfaction that Obama is now conclusively the nominee. Putting aside the fact that we've all known for quite some time that Obama would be the nominee, I feel no sense of personal accomplishment. There's no need to congratulate me. That just makes me feel weird.

While we're at it, nothing is being "taken away" from Hillary. There were a series of elections to see who could get more delegates, and she lost. That's it. You can't say she wasn't given a chance, since she was the inevitable nominee right up until the voting started. The superdelegates didn't take it away from her, since they were all on her side right up until she started losing all the caucus states that she ignored. And let's not forget that she would have been just fine if the superdelegates had ignored the pledged delegates to make her the nominee in spite of the voters. This was an election and she lost. The only way it could have been taken from her is if it was hers in the first place, and it wasn't.

So no, don't congratulate me. I'm not happy that it had to end this way, with a bitter division in the party that Hillary is trying to use as leverage to get something, although no one is allowed to know what that something is. There's no need to congratulate anyone where the losing candidate's supporters are going to support McCain, even though he is completely at odds with Hillary and adverse to many of the issues she's fought for. Please, let's not be so dramatical.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, and they say, I write scathing commentary. I don't think any commentary is necessary here...

DorothyMantooth said...

Preach!

Don't Be So Dramatical said...

Good usage of "dramatical"! Weird blog, though.

Who congratulated you? Andrew also hates being congratulated for things that are unrelated to him. Also, he hates it when people are "proud" of him.

Personally, it is TBD whether or not Lilah and I will vote. Not sure whether the lesser of two evils will be to vote for a candidate we don't believe in or not to vote at all. Voting Republican isn't an option as McCains sickens me. Time (and the debates) will tell....

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the "debates," which won't be debates at all, they will be "town hall meetings." (A format which will be to both candidates' advantage, I believe, since McCain can speak for a lick and Obama always looks comfortable in front of a crowd). There will be 10 instead of the usual 3 so there will be plenty for people to watch and judge for themselves - it will very good for the country to see the MAJOR differences between these 2.
I mean look, the true republicans, pearl wearing WASPY, beer heirs are never gonna vote for Obama, but I can't understand how the individual who can't afford to put gas in his pick up truck/pay his hospital bills because the factory closed doesn't want a universal healthcare bill and their kids to go to college so they don't have to work in the factory like them is gonna vote for 3 gagillion dollars a year war monger McCain... That's just me. Then again, I sometimes forget, he's white. I guess it's just such a different perspective.

p.s. McCain (and his type) sickens me too.

p.p.s. according to MSNBC, I'm an "idealist, big picture" voter - duh, I knew that already!

TheMediaDude said...

Brian, you are so gay.

When TMIBITW supports a candidate, and that candidate then wins the nomination, I would expect you to be happy. Congratulations ARE INDEED in order. No for you, but for your cause. Now get that penis out of your mouth and say thank you.

Anonymous said...

the two of you must have played with your wee wee's a hell of a lot as kids! it's the only explanation...