Saturday, April 5, 2008

Music For Mary

Mrs. Pookiebear recently told me that as much as she loves Cake and Bruce Springsteen, she was looking for for new music and asked me for thoughts. Trying to give her a mix of new music and stuff that I thought she'd like, here's how I responded:

Thank you! And you've come to the right spot. Here's some obscure and not so obscure bands I would recommend:
  • Mates of State (a husband and wife duo with two kids who write fantastic songs, you may remember me playing you some of their stuff when you were in NY. Get Team Boo, its their best album, followed up a close second by Our Constant Concern. I've loved them ever since I saw them open for Cake years ago. I link to their blog, band on the diaper run).
  • Matt Pond PA (from NY, despite the name, great classic songs. I listened to Several Arrows Later non-stop for a few months. The more recent Last Light isn't as good, but I never like the more recent album after I love the second).
  • The Shins (Matt might have heard of them, they've been around a while and have great songs. My favorite album is Wincing the Night Away, but a lot of other people like Chutes Too Narrow. Don't play in front of Irene, unless you want to hear Irene sing. Love you, Irene!).
  • Vampire Weekend (haven't actually heard the full album yet, but they were on SNL and blew me away. Preppy boys from Columbia U playing ska, and playing pretty well).
  • Regina Spektor (she became big when her song made it on to Grey's Anatomy, you've probably heard it. The album is Begin to Hope. She actually used to play at sidewalk, but not enough to get trapped there. You'll like this one, too).
  • The Strokes (I know you've heard of them, but not sure if you've actually listened to them. They rock.).
This was fun! Let me know when I can turn this into a blog post.

Happy birthday, Pookie!!!

8 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Aw, good post, B-Dub!
And folks pretty much shouldn't play any of those around me, lest they can't get me to stop singing! (Love you too, darlin'.)
Oh! Except for Vampire Weekend. I thought they sucked.

I second every other recommendation, though, 'cept for that PA guy, who I've never heard of. And I'll add Interpol to the list. They're awesome!

DorothyMantooth said...

Gasp! B-Dub!
Introducing ! Trust, y'all.

DorothyMantooth said...

Crap! That was supposed to say .
Sigh.

DorothyMantooth said...

The hell?! Stooopid HTML!
"Your new favorite blog."

And I'm done.

Don't Be So Dramatical said...

Good advice! Shout out to the Regina Spektor suggestion. She has been a fave of mine since long before GREY'S. A fave is on my myspace page.

corey said...

Dude, have you been exposed to Band of Horses??? If you like MattPondPA, they might strike a chord. (Specially "everything all the time")

Anonymous said...

First of all, thanks to The Most Important Blog in the Country for assisting The Wife with music selections. If left to her own devices, I would have ended up with a bunch of Mary Chapin Carpenter and Dixie Chicks cds. [Shudder]. By the way, the CDs sound great in my new Acura (note: NOT PRIUS!! Hooray!)

Mary picked up a few of these for me (and a total of 15 cds) - some initial reactions:


Mates of State - I really want to like them. I really do.

Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later one of my favorites so far.

Shins - She didn't buy, but I do like me some Shins. Thanks for the tip, but I've known Irene long enough not to play any music and not expect her to sing along. (I wouldn't even open a music box in the same room as Irene)

Vampire Weekend - we're liking this one a lot. I've listened to it 3 times at work today.

dnale13 said...

With a slow Tuesday morning, I roll over to see what's going on in little lawyer boy's world.

GASP! SKA! I might let you slip with that just a little. The easiest and whitest way to explain Vampire Weekend is Paul Simon's Graceland (notice I didn't say the best or most accurate.) It's all African, man. Indie at its best sprinkled with a little Columbia kid attitude. One of my best breakthroughs of last year.

Here's some ideas:

New Raconteurs!
James Blunt - Singer/Songwriter.
MGMT - a little Midnight Vulture-esqe. Not too dancey/electronic/goofy.
Black Keys & Rosebuds - two good husband & wife groups who's new albums took a left at Albuquerque.