Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Pox On My House

Nilda still has the chickenpox and oh my god is she not happy about it. It started out on Sunday with a few little bumps here and there. By Monday, she was covered in red blisters that varied from atom nucleus-size to old faithful geyser. I have learned that it is possible, in fact, to part Nilda’s hair to put calamine lotion on her scalp.

Nilda’s been in a lot of pain and it has sucked for her. She freaked out at me last night because, as Nilda put it, “I HAVE CHICKENPOX!!!” You just can’t argue with logic like that. But really, I’ve had a hangnail all afternoon that really, really hurt, but you don’t hear me whining about it.

Today seems to have been better and that’s a good sign. Maybe the anti-viral medicines they gave her are finally working. Nilda even went outside with me on an ice cream run tonight, which she normally is more than happy to let me do by myself. She even got to see some people during her expedition outside.

At least Nilda can look forward to a weekend away in Vermont in two weeks. We’re staying at a small bed & breakfast with a fireplace in the room that’s near Stratton, so we can go skiing. Nilda’s looking forward to skiing, which combines her two favorite activities: cold, wet snow and a new physical activity that’s she not comfortable with. It’s going to be great. We’re both looking forward to ending the day sitting in front of a fire and drinking. Heavily. Just thinking about it makes me sentimental.



P.S. – I read an article about Bunny Wailer of Bob Marley & The Wailers and I’ve been going through a reggae music phase since then. I’ve decided to write a reggae song. I don’t have the melody yet, but it's titled, “I Should Call The Credit Card Company About This Suspicious Charge."

No comments: