Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar Picks

Oscar picks have nothing to do with the movies. The winner selected is either (1) the person everyone wants to win, otherwise known as who's turn it is, or (2) the person or film that the most amount of voters have an incentive to win, which explains why Crash won best film. This is why I rock the office Oscar pool. Here are this year's picks:
  • Picture: Avatar
  • Director: James Cameron
  • Actor: Jeff Bridges
  • Actress: Sandra Bullock
  • Supp. Actor: Christopher Walz
  • Supp. Actress: Mo'Nique
The real race this year is between Hurt Locker and Avatar for best picture and, James Cameron and Kathryn Bigelow for best director. The common belief is that one movie will win for director, the other for best film, though no one can tell which movie will win for which category. I say that both of those voters will cancel each other out and that Avatar will win for both. Yeah, there's some new system of voting, but I don't understand it so it doesn't matter. You are mine, $75.

P.S. - The return of Mary has not been lost on me. Keep writing, we're loving it. It's good to have you back.

4 comments:

TheMediaDude said...

Nice job, except for the best picture/director. Good reasoning, though you fell on the wrong side. It was a woman's year.

Who won the pool?

Mary said...

I knew it wasn't going to be Avatar. Ya know why? James Cameron isn't that frickin' amazing, and he already has a couple of those little statues.

Boywonderesq said...

If I had known that Bigelow could have been the first woman to win best director, that would have changed everything. As soon as I saw that Barbara Streisand was the presenter, I knew I was in trouble.

Steven won the office pool. I asked him what made him choose Hurt Locker, and he said it was Roger Ebert. Curse you, Steve!

Mary said...

by the way, thanks for recognizing my blogging efforts.