Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Live Blogging The Trial

So we started a trial today. I know that I said we were starting a trial a few weeks ago, but that one settled. This one, despite my best hopes, is actually going forward, and I'm on board. There have been no real settlement discussions (or interest from the defendant), so we're going forward with nothing to lose. I've decided to enjoy it.

Today was jury selection and openings. We were out by 1:00 pm. You have to love federal court. Contrast this with my experience on jury duty a few weeks ago in state criminal court, where it took more than one day to pick a jury for a 2 day trial. This was a different experience, but you can count on people to do everything they can to get out of jury duty. The irony is that everyone who actually sits on a jury enjoys the experience and talks about it every opportunity they can. "It was really interesting," seems to be the universal description.

Anyway, we've got a jury and our client takes the stand tomorrow. You spend years preparing for this moment and there it is. Everyone builds up trials, but it's really not such a big deal when you're there. You go in, you try your case, and the jury sees what it sees. What's not to like?

In far more important news, Nilda won a bid on a new chair. I'm told that my life is now complete. Hooray, he said dryly. (The truth is, the chair is wicked comfortable and it's the same one that Jack Donaghy has on 30 Rock. It rocks, but don't tell Nilda I said that).

1 comment:

DorothyMantooth said...

Donaghy proof, plzkthx!