Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beating The Neighbors At Monopoly

The neighbors came over on Saturday and, over Nilda's objections, we had a massive game of Monopoly. We all know that I can take Monopoly a little too seriously, but this game was different. This wasn't like playing with lawyers. There was no merging. There were no hard core negotiations. There was no long discussion of rules, full of hypotheticals and policy arguments. This was just a straight up four-person death match. And it didn't end pretty. Check out this board.

I got the green monopoly, which everyone knows is the best monopoly, and all of the railroads. Really. And this was after I negotiated immunity on the yellows. I was even able to put monopolies on the dark blues, which everyone knows is a waste. It's not that I wanted to be so successful in the cut throat world of paper money real estate, it just happened. Sorry, Mike and Jen.

The game finally ended when I landed on free parking, at a time when I absolutely didn't need it.

Thanks for coming over, Mike and Jen. Hope to see you guys real soon after the baby is born. The lesson of the evening: Brian takes Monopoly way too seriously. Don't mess with the master.

10 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Bah! You guys need to get Acquire already!

Also, Mike & Jen look lovely, but I miss your fun lesbian dancer neighbor. (Who wouldn't, amirite?!)

Mary said...

I disagree about the dark blues. I killed in a game about a month ago with some non-lawyer friends. I worked my way toward hotels on the dark blues AND the dark purples, and I bled everyone dry. It was a beautiful night.

tom mattback said...

Like your neighbors, our non-lawyer friends weren't terribly impressed with the 3A take-no-prisoners/wheeling and dealing style of play. We were going to introduce them to Acquire, but we'll probably need to wait a few more months for them to forget what it's like to play board games with us.

Boywonderesq said...

We DO have Acquire, but I thought it was a little early to teach the neighbors. Besides, Gary always wins Acquire. Even when he's not there.

I think I may have messed up the colors. I did not know that there was a dark blue AND a dark purple. God damn, I hate colors.

Mary said...

This is making me very excited for a board-game marathon next Friday night!!

DorothyMantooth said...

Ahem. JER always wins Acquire!
And I LOVE that things remain the same (right and true!) even when our friends are (what feels like) halfway around the world. :(

(But also :)! For Friday! YES!)

Benjamin Steakhouse said...

Honestly Bri, I think it's awesome you won despite your color-related disability. You could be a public speaker in elementary schools. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't achieve something.

your wife said...

your arrogance is highly undeserved as it is the first time you have ever won at monopoly! LOL

Mike W. said...

Geez, look how sad we are in that picture. This is terrible, we get beat in Cranium and Monopoly in back to back dinner parties! Just wait til we have you over next time. I will OWN you in Hungry, Hungry Hippos. ;)

Mike W.

Gaz said...

Ahhh, Acquire. Maybe Ellie and I will have to make the trek all the way to Connecticut after dinner Friday just to have some old-school Acquire fun.