Thursday, March 18, 2010

How To Talk Like A Lawyer

Notes taken while defending a deposition, for the benefit of mankind:
  • Never give an exact date. Everything is "approximately."
  • Use phrases like "in or around" instead of "-ish."
  • "Yes" or "no" or any similar definitive answers are not acceptable. Usually.
  • If you have something insightful or revealing to say, don't ever write it down.
  • You are never wrong. If you do happen to be wrong, make a big deal about it to show everyone how magnanimous you are.
  • Use big words like "magnanimous."
  • If you can't remember something, say you can't remember "at this time," so that you can "remember" later on.
  • Say "I don't recall" instead of "no."
  • Use the phrase "refresh your recollection," even though it sounds creepy.
  • If you are going to mischaracterize what someone has said, start off by saying, "I don't want to mischaracterize what you said, but..."
  • Invite people to speculate by asking them not to speculate. For example, "I don't want you to speculate, but..."

5 comments:

Mary said...

I am teaching a class next week on depositions. I think I'll share some of your insights with my students. Won't they be impressed by the thoughts of a fancy New York lawyer?

fancy NY lawyer's wife said...

HA HA HA If your class only knew...

Boywonderesq said...

A JEWISH fancy New York lawyer!

Mary said...

Ah, very important detail. I'll make sure to include the Jewish part. Hopefully, that will lend me some credibility.

DorothyMantooth said...

Like you can be a fancy lawyer without being Jewish. Ha!

(Also? "On or about.")