Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why I Don't Like Baseball

So I'm watching the World Series, but I still can't see myself getting into baseball year round. I'm from Philly and I live in New York, so a Phillies/Yankees World Series has some obvious appeal to me. But I don't care enough about either team, or baseball, really, to get interested. Here's why:
  • Baseball is too simple. Every down in football is like a chess match, but you know what to expect with each play in baseball.
  • There will be a lot of football analogies. If my readers can't handle it, then both of them should stop reading any further.
  • There's no time to figure out how to react in baseball. The pitches go too fast for me to figure out what's going on, and by then it's too late.
  • What can be planned is too boring to be interesting. For example, hitting it to left field, bunting, throwing a fast ball v. a breaking ball, that's all easily categorized into simple rules for different scenarios. There isn't enough room in the rules for innovation.
  • Baseball is all about pitching. You could strip the game down to a pitcher and a batter and it would still make sense. If you don't like pitching, like me, then most of the game is lost.
  • The calling of balls and strikes is way too subjective, like grades in law school. A pitch that looks clearly out to me will be called a strike and I don't get it.
  • Standing on "base" is gay.
  • Full disclosure = Andrew and I played little league and we both sucked. I was told I always stepped "away" from the pitch, not wanting to get hit by the ball. One time I decided to step into the pitch and got hit right in the nose. From then on, I was called "Target 2" (Andrew was "Target 1," which I thought was unfair, since he never got hit). Why didn't I like sports?
  • Of course I stepped away from the pitch! Some 8-year-old with no idea what he's doing is throwing a ball at me and I'm supposed to just stand there? No thank you, Mr. Clipboard!
  • I have good memories of going to Red Berry's Baseball Camp during the summers in Florida. One of the counselors called us "Heckle & Jekyll" and it took me all summer to figure out what the hell that meant.
  • The counselors once asked the campers who was going to win the All Star game that night and I was one of only two who thought the American League was going to beat the National League. I was all proud of myself but the truth was that I had no idea what the hell they were talking about and I only voted for the American League because we're American, right?
  • Baseball was fun because when it was all over, you'd get a snow cone.
  • There are still moments where I get baseball. It's more of a game than a sport. Still, when it's professional football season, which is on a level that is way beyond me, baseball seems like a kid's game.

2 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

I really think bullet points agree with you, BDub. 'Cause I really like this post, too!

They say that baseball is "the thinking man's game," which I, as I assume you, have always found specious. Jer's dad, who's evidently a huge baseball fan, once answered me that they say that because the individual player matters more in baseball than in football.

I'm still not sure I believe that.

(Also, do the Heller boys have the same awesome Topps-stylee baseball cards from Little League that Jer has?! Awwwww.)

(Also also, baseball is friggin' boring as HELL.)

70MPH70 said...

Wait, you went to Fred Berry's baseball camp?

Here is why I am losing my interest in baseball: IT TAKES TOO F'ING LONG!!!!!!!! That's it.