Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Live Blogging Election Night

  • This campaign was brought to you by Howard Dean. Without his model focusing on grass roots organization, not reliant on the DNC, Obama would never have beaten the Clinton machine.
  • Bad ass of the day: David Axelrod. He put together a brilliant campaign and stuck to his plan, making it as manager all the way through the election without being fired.
  • I told you it would all come down to Pennsylvania!
  • Forrest voted. Good job, Nilda!
  • Schwartz said that Obama could be one of our great presidents. I shit you not! Of course, it was in the context of making Hillary sec of state. I don't think that would be a bad idea. She'd be great at any job, and it would keep her from fighting Obama in the senate.
  • Pelosi has to go.
  • Rachel Maddow was a Rhodes scholar from Stamford, and has a PHD in poli sci from Stanford. Who knew?
  • I didn't drink last night, and now I feel sick, right before we leave for vacation. Coincidence? I think not.
  • It always seems wierd when Chris Matthews calls Obama "Barak." He's not as informal with any other politician. When he starts calling him "President" or "Senator," you know Matthews is planning on running for Congress.
  • The big discussion today has been about lines. I waited 45 minutes at 7:15 am, when I've never had to wait before. I thought about how Cousin Bill (at shakespeareteacher.com) is right about voting creating a sense of community.
  • This will only be an "important" election if Obama wins. If McCain wins, it will be just another boring election.
  • One explanation given for the faulty exit polls showing Obama winning in New Hampshire was that it was the younger voters, Obama supporters, who were more willing to talk to polsters after voting.
  • It's 7:50 and I'm freaking out. But I look at http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/ and I feel better.
  • The biggest surprise of the night is that I'm preferring CNN to MSNBC.
  • Obama just won Pennsylvania. There are many high fives.
  • Things are looking good. Hagan beat Dole, Florida looks like it's going to Obama and the portions of Indiana and Ohio that haven't reported yet are all Democratic. I say Indiana's going to McCain for sure, but Nilda's not convinced. Let's see how this turns out.

6 comments:

Mary said...

We finally live in a blue state again!

Boywonderesq said...

Four years ago, Mary, we watched the Daily Show election results from your apartment with Matt in Brooklyn. Now you're in Minnesota, and I'm in Nova Scotia. How things have changed.

Mary said...

We do remember that. That was depressing. This is happy. Except that part about us being in MN and you being in Nova Scotia. Aren't you and Nilda excited about the years we are going to spend trying to convince you how awesome the Twin Cities are?

DorothyMantooth said...

Hey, Mary! North Carolina went for Obama, too!

DorothyMantooth said...

Holy... Wow!
I can't stop crying.

Anonymous said...

Obama won Indiana! Who's your brilliant & politically savvy wife?!