Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I Love My iPhone. I Just Don't Have It Yet.

It's no secret that I've been dying for an iPhone since they first came out (curse you, damn verizon contract!). Here's the unauthorized story behind my recent temptation with the Blackberry.

Andrew, being the selfless and devoted husband he is, permitted his cherished wife Harley to get the one remaining iPhone, while he sacrificed by accepting a Blackberry instead. (Here's helping a brother out before father's day!). He loves it. Here are the benefits I've noticed the Blackberry has over the iPhone:

1. Email. The Blackberry can push email from various accounts, so that you're notified immediately when an email comes in. With the iPhone, I'm told, you have to check yourself for new emails or set the phone to check a minimum of 5 minutes apart, which also uses up battery life. The button-keypad also appears much easier to navigate than the touch-screen on the iPhone.

2. Cost. The Blackberry is significantly cheaper. This doesn't come into play on the initial investment of the iPhone. Rather, it's for those of us who think ahead and consider the time when we will inevitably break our sparkling new iPhones.

For me, there are three reasons why I need a smartphone: email, NJTransit train times, and research to prove I'm right (imdb, wikipedia). That's right. I need an iPhone to prove to my beautiful bride that I'm right, and then rub her face in it. Sure, I could occasionally be wrong, like I usually am, but that's way in the past.

Bottom line: what I really want is a web browser, and the Blackberry just can't compete on that level. The iPhone is the only device on the market that lets the user look at the web as if on a computer, rather than a watered-down html version. No contest, the iPhone is the device I have been waiting for. The end of my Verizon contract in September can't come fast enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the new BlackBerry "Bold" - an iPhone competitor with real webpages... read:
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/05/first-look-hand.html
and
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/13/BU9210L14C.DTL

I'm ALWAYS right. =)

Don't Be So Dramatical said...

You SO know that what I kove most about my iPhone is the ability to remain always right and to prove it on the spot!

Mary said...

Wow, how my life has changed. I have a $1 calendar that I bought on clearance at Borders, a notebook from Target, the "free" cell phone we got with our Cingular contract, and the knowledge I carry with me all the time that I am always right.

TheMediaDude said...

Brian, yoy can always get a Windows Mobile Device, which is like having a mini-computer for a cell phone.

DorothyMantooth said...

Anyone else shaking their head wistfully as the distant chorus of "Never gonna carry no cell phone" echoes tinnily through their brain?