Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nilda's Baby Shower

Nilda's baby shower was last Saturday and I hear it was great. I wouldn't know because I bailed after about 10 minutes. My job was to park my mom's car after she arrived with my sister and my aunt. I came back to an apartment full of women and had to get out because the estrogen was suffocating me. Here is Nilda with the grandmas. One's "Abuela," the other is "Mom Mom." I'm going to let you guess which one is which.
Here is Nilda with her cousin Kristen and her best friend Aura, both of whom I am told were a big help during the day. Look at how beautiful my wife looks!
They played the baby shower game where the women have to guess how many toilet paper sheets it takes to wrap around Nilda's belly, and whoever gets the closest wins. This means that I'm stuck with this crappy one-ply roll of toilet paper that I will never get rid of.
This is Nilda's cake. It's a Dominican cake, which means there's no "s" on "Congratulations." Con-grad-you-late-shun! On another food-related note, Hispanics make way too much rice. The population of Thailand went hungry for a day because Nilda had a baby shower.
We have wonderful and generous friends and families who got Baby C many wonderful gifts and toys. Here are a few examples. This is the MamaRoo, which is essentially the Ferrari of baby seats, a bouncy-seat and jumper in one. I first saw this in the store and said to Nilda, "Who needs all this?," to which she replied, "We registered for that." Check out my new Ferrari, bitches!
As expected, most of the baby stuff is adorable. Check out this adorable elephant humidifier. You know it's adorable because it says so right on the box.
This giraffe sound machine is so adorable that I want to punch it in the face.
This is a collapsible tub for the baby, which Nilda says proves that we didn't need to get the tub that I wanted, and that we could have installed the standing shower that she wanted. Thanks, Matt and Mary! (Yes, I'm a dick.)
I'm ridiculously excited. I'm also suffering from a drop in testosterone (which is completely normal!) that makes me overly emotional. I look at 12-year-old boys on the subway and wonder what our kid will look like at that age, and hope that he makes it to that age okay. I choke up just thinking about that god damn Google commercial with the dad sending emails to his daughter. Hopefully I'll feel better after I watch Beaches and Terms of Endearment.

P.S. - It's been less than one week and Nilda is 90% done with her thank you cards. Weirdo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you just admitted on the internet that you look at 12 year old boys on the subway. the cops will be showing up any second now.

DorothyMantooth said...

Chris Hansen has already told Brian to "please take a seat over there."