Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Live Blogging The Trial: Day 4

I killed the expert. I felt good about the other witnesses I did during this trial, but this was different. I don't want to sound full of myself, but I beat the shit out of him. I found an article he wrote 11 years ago and tore him apart with it. I had this professional expert, who's done this many more times than me, shaking. I don't think he ever expected it from this twerp. America's got talent, bitch!

The evidence is in and the end is in sight. You could tell that it was a short day from the way the jury was dressed. They were all in nice clothes because they had to go to work afterwards.

We have summations tomorrow afternoon, jury charges and then the case goes to the jury. We would prefer the case to go to the jury on Thursday morning instead of the late afternoon on Wednesday. The concern is that the jury won't want to come back the next day and will reach a defense verdict just to end it. The jurors have been watching this story for a week now and have not been allowed to talk about it with anyone. They're going to want to talk about it. I also think they're going to be surprised by the different opinions they hear when they finally are allowed to talk about the case.

To answer all of you, yes, I have been making eye contact with the jury. Not crazy-I'm-gonna-stalk-you stares, but just not looking away. I don't know it makes any difference. I've got a job to do and making sure I stare at the jury isn't part of that.

Like in most cases, I think the case will be won or lost on summation. Yes, the jury makes up its mind early on, but the closing, when all the pieces of the puzzle are brought together, is where their opinions are cemented. I've decided not to start thinking about the outcome until after the closing. I've got a lot to worry about and shaking confidence isn't going to help. It's a hard case, but it went in well.

1 comment:

DorothyMantooth said...

That's awesome, B-Dub! Foreals!!

As for not wanting to come back the following day (for damages, I guess?), if you've made your point? And it looks like you have! Then I think the jury'll actually be excited to come back so they can come up with a figure to really stick it to the company they think screwed your client.