Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Dark Days Begin

The move is scheduled for June 19. At first, I was happy that we would finally be moving in. At least if I had to spend my weekends working on the new place, I would already wake up there. But then I realized this meant that we had to pack up all of our stuff in just two weeks.

We had already done a lot of packing, filling 17 boxes of crap crap crap. But there's still so much to do. The kitchen alone will take forever. And since we're going back to Philly this weekend, we only have nights to pack things up. This means no Tudors, no Nip/Tuck, not even Deadliest Catch. I have to come home from working all day to working at packing. Sorry in advance if the blog suffers.

I hate moving. It's not the act of packing or leaving an apartment that bothers me. It's the worrying about my stuff the day of the move. I work hard for my stuff. I owe it a fiduciary duty of loyalty. The worst part is that you can worry for as long as you like, but the move itself will only take a few hours. It's just not worth it.

For those who want to know about the renovations (Matt, Dr. HGTV), here are some pics of the bathroom, electrical wires and all, which they should hopefully start tiling soon:


This is the living room. We're moving the ceiling light about 5 feet over so we can hang a chandelier where the dining room table is going to go. This is very exciting for Nilda because she luuuuuuvs the new chandelier. That's fair because I luuuuv the new kitchen light.

We're painting the kitchen now. Well, "we're" not painting the kitchen as much as we're having it painted. That part of my life is over. The cabinets are scheduled to be installed on Monday and Tuesday, after which we can have the appliances and countertop installed:


This is an image of the pulls we're getting for the kitchen cabinets. For some reason, I keep looking at pictures of them on the internet. I have no clue why and it's starting to worry me. Also, do you have any idea how many websites there are that have "knob" in the address? There's myknobs.com, knobs4less.com, knobsandpulls.com, and that's just a few. And don't get me started on how many "faucet" websites are out there!

8 comments:

Don't Be So Dramatical said...

my mom has the same hardware on her kitchen cabinets

DorothyMantooth said...

Those pulls are among my favorites!

Also, here's a tip: make sure Safe Search is enabled every time you search for "knobs."

the wife said...

Mine too, DM! You can buy the cheapy lacquered metal ones at HD & Lowes, but we got the solid polished stainless steel like in the professional kitchens direct from the manufacturer. We considered many styles, but these looked beautiful with our shaker front gray cabinets. So excited! They will coordinate with our retardedly expensive kitchen light. LOL

Mary said...

FYI, DM does not believe shaker style furnishing constitute art. For some reason, I have very vivid recollections of a cab ride from mid-town to Indian Row discussing the artistic qualities of handsown leather pants v. shaker furniture.

the wife said...

HA HA Oh, Mary, I'm with Irene on that one! I don't like Shaker furniture at all, but a nice Shaker front cabinet door is very classic and better for resale than the ultramodern/trendy flat panel door that Bri & I prefer...

DorothyMantooth said...

That is BADASS, Nil! I never doubted for a minute that you guys would get The Good Stuff!

Also? Retardedly expensive lights are my favorite! ;-)

And Mary, sweetness, because I love you, I will refrain from commenting on "handsown." Hahaha!! (p.s. I actually don't remember that conversation AT ALL! I am the worst.) Also also? LIGHTING DISTRICT!

the wife said...

Also also? Can you say designer discount on the kitchen light! ;-)

DorothyMantooth said...

Oh, you know I am ALL ABOUT the designer discount!