Saturday, June 6, 2009

Brian Isn't Handy

This pisses me off. What is that supposed to mean, anyway? Is that some kind of an insult? Is my not wanting to spend my Saturday afternoon putting together a bathroom vanity and staining a closet door somehow a negative? Why is my not wanting to do things that I am not good at and don't enjoy doing make me lazy, it proves that I'm efficient with my time.

One thing I definitely can NOT do is take out the door frame to the kitchen and turn it into an arch. What they're able to do with plaster and sheet rock is amazing. It looks great and makes the kitchen look bigger, but who thinks of doing stuff like that? Here's the progression:

I like doing other things that are work related. I can pack a mean trunk and if you need to set up for a group of people coming over, I am totally there. But it's pretty clear that I was not put on this earth to install a toilet.

Nilda's just lucky I'm not decorating. When Andrew and I lived together, Addi hung a happy birthday sign on the wall for Aashish's surprise birthday party. Two years later, when we moved out, that same sign was up, and it was our only decoration. We weren't even imaginative enough to put the National Geographic maps we got up on the wall.

The plan is to move on Friday the 19th, less than two weeks from now. This is something that I can handle. Nilda, I'm in charge.

11 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Yeah, um... no comments on wall decoration, plz! ;-)

Also, (as you all know) putting together Ikea furniture is one of my most favorite things to do in life. Which, in my mind, makes me totally "handy." (It totally does not make me handy.) And so I've seen tons of HGTV shows and This Old Houses and online DIY tutorials to know -- theoretically -- exactly how to install a new toilet. And to think that -- theoretically -- I could totally do that!

That being said? The other day I read something (in the Times?) about a woman who decided to do just that. And whose new toilet then proceeded to CRASH THROUGH THE FLOOR INTO THE ROOM BELOW!! Yikes!!

So, erm, BDub? The lesson here? Don't install your own toilet.
Um, kthx.

Oh! Also? Mantooth gives the best advice EVAR! Recognize!

the wife said...

hilarious! I must now find that article about that woman! lol

the wife said...

I saw the Bob Villa tutorial on how to install your own toilet so, yeah, I can also theoretically do it too! ;-)

tom mattback said...

Saw that article in the NYT, and it made me second guess my decision to put in a new vanity and faucet in our guest bathroom. Luckily, though (i) the bathroom is in the basement, so no floor to crash through and (B) we have a bowl that fits perfectly in the new vanity under the ever-so-sightly leaking pipe. Done.

Aside from replacing faucets (first one took about 6 hours and 3 trips to home depot, but the next 4 have been a piece of cake), I would stay away from plumbing, including toilet installation. You don't want to make a mistake with the toilet. Minor electrical work is another matter entirely. Over the last several months, I have successfully replaced all of the outdoor lights on our house, put up a new light fixture over the dining room table, and installed a celing fan+light in our bedroom yesterday. And so far, I've only been electrocuted once (you don't wonder whether you really have to turn off the circuit breaker after that first time).

And what kind of IKEA furniture are we talking about here, Mantooth? Side tables and bookshelves: not handy. Pretty sure that Noah and Luke could follow the pictures and figure it out (provided that Luke doesn't hide the allen key and little wooden pegs first). Complete kitchens: handy.

DorothyMantooth said...

An Ikea kitchen I'm afraid I've never had occasion to tackle, Mattback. But every incarnation of bedroom furniture (including, you know, complicated beds!) and entertainment units and things that are recommended to be put together by TWO people! Ha.

P R E G N A N T said...

Wait, you're doing home renovations???

DorothyMantooth said...

Oh, hey! Congratulations, Yael!
Folks knew already, right? This isn't the way you chose to make your big announcement... RIGHT?!

the wife said...

for the record, we had to lay a new concrete bathroom floor so no toilet known to man is falling into the basement!

oh, and tomback, could you please visit NYC, we have a ceiling fan that needs installing, seriously.

tom mattback said...

well, then, there's really no reason NOT to install the toilet - how much damage can you really do with concrete floors?
I'd be happy to install the fan, but maybe we should wait a couple of weeks to make sure that ours doesn't drop out of the ceiling/cause an electrical fire.

S T I L L P R E G N A N T said...

DM, this was my big announcement! Boywonderesq, I hope your blog audience is sufficiently big for my incredible news.

DorothyMantooth said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, Yael!!
That is awesome!!! Congratulations again!

Also, I think you met Jer & me all of once, but we're engaged now! So there's that...