Thursday, April 12, 2012

Passover 2012

This weekend was Charlie's first Passover and he had a great time.  First, we went to a Seder led by the estimable Cousin Bill.  As Bill wisely pointed out, the first Seder fell on a Shabbat this weekend, which means we get to say even more stuff.  Bill runs a mighty Seder.  It's based on The Prince of Egypt and it's really good.
We had the second Seder at my parents' house.  Charlie was surrounded by his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins and he absolutely loved it.  

Charlie got to spend time with his cousin Serena who is just three months older than him.  I'm excited to see these two grow up and play together, since they're so close in age.  He also got to play with all her toys.  We put them both in the same crib to see who would survive, like a combination of the Hunger Games and Thunderdome.  There can be only one.  Unfortunately, all they did was grab each other and hold hands.
Passover means there's no food in the house.  If you want to eat, you have to go out and sneak it like it's heroin.  Nilda and I got hoagies (because we're in Philly) and went to the park to eat chametz in shame.  Charlie went on his first ride on the swings and absolutely loved it. He was kicking away and smiling and was probably as cute as he's ever been.
He hates the sun.  For the record, pirates and camo is way better than trucks and trains for little boys.  Just saying.  Because I married a gentile, this was also Charlie's first Easter.  Apparently, you celebrate Easter by buying dollar-store quality plastic eggs and candy and taking pictures.  Because it's candy, I'll allow it, just don't tell my mother. 
This was a very special Passover because we got to have a third Seder.  My mom's side usually has a big Seder and since the place we found that we like was busy on Saturday, we moved the Seder to the third night.  As Andrew aptly noted on facebook, we drink warm beer to remember that our ancestors fleeing Egypt did not have time to properly chill their beer.  Charlie wore his shirt and tie set from Yael for the first time and looked very professional.  He kept his tie on longer than I did.
Nilda and I drove back to New York with Andrew and Charlie in the back seat.  I have no idea how we could go anywhere with Charlie without the car.  Uncle Andrew treated Charlie to his first viewing of Elmo and Big Bird on Uncle Andrew's iphone and Charlie loved it.  All in all, this was the best Passover I can remember.  By the way, I read somewhere once that the Last Supper was a Seder, and since it was in writing it must be true. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A) Fantastic, wonderful, fabulous pictures of everyone! Your dad looks so happy with his two men and two grandbaby boys with him! YAY!

B) The Last Supper/Holy Thursday was possibly a Seder. (See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-wil-gafney-phd/was-the-last-supper-a-passover-seder_b_1392094.html). It should be noted that on our way to Passover with family friends in St. Paul on Friday night, I told my Catholic-turned-Episopalian children that it WAS, in a blatant effort to unite our Christian and Jewish traditions so as to avoid any future arguments from my children about having to do ALL of the holidays. If I make them think it's all just one religion and they have no choice in the matter, than I will have been successful.

tom mattback said...

Is Charlie wearing a matzoh-print bib? Very stylish. Our seder hosts had a full complement of matzoh-print items - aprons, napkins and yarmulke (sp?). We truly have reached the pinnacle of our civilization.

And since charlie already has the camo, he's ready for deer hunting season in MN. Just make sure you put him the safety orange baby bjorn.

goya said...

Oh I am just seeing this! Love the tie, natch.

I am such a secular Jew, I didn't even know you could have Seder out of the house.

oops said...

I meant goy. But it would be cool to be goya too.