Monday, September 26, 2011

The Hospital Tour

Tonight, Nilda and I went to a meet and greet with the practice Nilda's doctor is part of, followed by a tour of the birthing floor and postpartum rooms at the hospital. The hospital is Columbia at 168th Street, nosy. They do this meet and greet about every six weeks, which seemed pretty often to me. I was thinking that there would be 3 or 4 couples and that we'd have a quick chat in the lobby followed by a short tour. But we get there to see a ton of people and chairs set up for a presentation and a spread of cheese and crackers and OH MY GOD THERE ARE SO MANY PREGNANT PEOPLE!!! At least you know the cheese is safe for pregnant women.

There were maybe 45-50 couples there, easily 100 people. I had no idea that there were this many pregnant women in New York, and this was just one practice at one hospital. I'm sitting there thinking, "Wow, these humans can really reproduce quickly!" And these women were pregnant, like, really pregnant. I was concerned that some of them would pop and there would be baby all over the walls, and we'd be picking baby out of our hair for days.

One of the doctors says that the 7 doctors in the practice do about 2-3 deliveries every day, and that the hospital as a whole does 10-15 deliveries a day. I haven't put my fact-checkers on this, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's a lot of babies.

P.S. - Note to the universe - let's not have many deliveries around December 17, so that Nilda and I can get our own room. Just putting that out there.

7 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

"I was concerned that some of them would pop and there would be baby all over the walls, and we'd be picking baby out of our hair for days."

Sounds like the doctors did a really good job of debunking all those myths and explaining what birthing is REALLY like.

The pregnant Wonder said...

Irene, do you have any idea how explosive birth can be?! ;-) HA HA HA

DorothyMantooth said...

"Baby All Over the Walls" is the name of my new album.

Unknown said...

As the one commenter thus far who has actually given birth, I would like to suggest that perhaps you need to read some more books or find another hospital if you have heard that birth is "explosive." And if there's any danger of it getting on the walls, please choose a hospital with bigger rooms. FWIW, there are a lot of other words I would use -- slimy, painful, exhausting, painful, bloody, painful...

the pregnant Wonder said...

Oh, no, Mary, you're totally wrong! LOL (how do I italicize?!) There's gonna be slime everywhere, a la ghostbusters. Can you picture it? ;-)

Boywonderesq said...

Wait a minute, babies come out of where???

DorothyMantooth said...

I think you're focusing on the wrong thing, B-Dub. It's where the stork comes out of that you should be worried about.