Thursday, September 22, 2011

Serena Morgan

On Sunday at about 4:28 pm, my sister gave birth to her third daughter and my sixth niece. Introducing Serena Morgan:
Nilda and I rushed in to Philly to meet her. Rushing to the hospital to see the baby reminded me of when Francesca was born, except instead of everyone expecting us to rush in, we heard, "You don't have to come in, it's a big trip." Serena, welcome to being the third born, just like Andrew and I. I'm sure you will have an empty baby book and your oldest sister will complain about how easy you have it, just like your mother still does with me.

The first person I congratulated when I got to the hospital was my mother. I think her goal in life is to populate the planet with as many grandchildren as possible. 2011 is looking to be a productive year for her.
That morning, Caryn had been complaining about not feeling well, but refused to call the doctor. She would say, "I'm just having a moment," which turned out to be contractions. When she finally was got to the hospital at around noon, she was already 4 cm. She gave birth just 4.5 hours later, all natural. I know her labor was difficult, but god damn she makes it look easy.
Francesca, who is 8, was holding Serena and said, "I'm doing great." She is. Serena, you are lucky to have Francesca for a big sister, just like I was lucky to have Caryn (and Julie!) for a big sister.
Lacey, who is 5, had a different reaction. She kept saying, "She's gonna eat BOOBY!!" When I told her that Serena wasn't really eating booby and that milk was in the booby, her eyes got all wide and she said, "Really??"
Between Forrest's two girls, he now has five girls. FIVE GIRLS!!! He said, "I'm done. I don't know about Caryn, but I'm done."
With some of the other girls, Caryn had worked hard to get them to stop sucking their thumbs. Serena, therefore, was born already sucking her thumb (see the top picture). The nurses actually said, "We've never seen a newborn suck her thumb like that before!" Good luck, Caryn.

Serena already knows I'm better than Uncle Andrew. She's so smart!
I wound up watching the first quarter of the Sunday night Eagles/Falcons game in the hospital with Caryn & Forrest, then I watched the second half with my dad on his giant tv. A pretty great day.

No comments: