Monday, August 29, 2011

Away Message

The kid is 24 weeks and kicking his mother like crazy. He flops around a lot until he gets comfortable, then rests for a few minutes before flopping around some more. I have no idea where he gets this. I've been reading the baby books Nilda has been making me read (no, I DO want to read them, Nilda!), and they say that, in utero, babies will stretch when they wake up for a nap. How fucking cute is that. Also, I'm going to start playing music for the kid because they also say that the kid, later on in life, will like whatever music he hears when he's in the womb. No, Nilda, that's not Phish.

Nilda and I are leaving tomorrow for vacation. I'd call it a "babymoon" or "babycation," but those seem like really annoying phrases. So does "dadechelor party," but I want one of those so I'll keep my criticisms of the name to myself. We're going to a resort in Cap Cana and here's a live webcam so you can see what I'm doing while you're stuck at work. I'll be the one at the pool bar. Our flight leaves at 6:45 am on Wednesday morning and getting Nilda to leave the house at 4:00 am is not going to be pretty.

When we come back, things are going to go pretty fast. My sister's kid (she doesn't want to find out, but it's going to be a girl) will be born in September around Rosh Hashanah, then we have Nilda's shower, work stuff, Thanksgiving and then it's December 17 already. I spoke to a client today who has a one-month old. I asked him how the sleep is going. He said ok, but he didn't envy me, since I'll have to go to work and think every day. I don't envy me, either.

Now I'm going to make you watch two videos. This is Mister Rogers defending PBS' funding in a senate hearing in 1969. He stresses that, unlike cartoons, his show tries to deal with the drama that a child faces, like dealing with brothers and sisters and feeling angry. He talks about trying to give children a sense of control over their emotions. He's great and it shows that there was more going on than just him changing shoes.



This article is about Paulie Gee, who opened Paulie Gee's pizzeria which is amazing. We went there on the pizza tour a few weeks ago and I've been too lazy to write about it since. Anyway, the guy was in IT for his entire career until he decided, at age 56, to go into the pizza business. This video is about how he was rejected for a job as a general manager before opening his own place that is now, arguably, one of the best in the city. It wasn't Difara's, but it was a very close second and, in many ways, a much better experience. Or maybe it was just the romance of the four of us guys with our sparkling red wine and sharing 6 pizzas. It was a magical evening, blog title = "Romancing the Pizza Stone."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sadly, I did not read that your schedule in the next couple of months includes a trip to visit Matt & Mary in Minnesota. That's fine. We don't want to see you anyway.

DorothyMantooth said...

"Romancing the Pizza Stone" is Godawful, B-Dub, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Also, have a wonderful time!!

Boywonderesq said...

Thanks! It was supposed to be "Bromancing the Pizza Stone." And Minnesota is definitely on our list! I hear its a blinding shade of white in February.

Unknown said...

You suck at blogging.

Boywonderesq said...

I do, don't I? I truly suck at this. I had planned to post something on Tuesday, but then our internet crapped out and I had a good excuse not to. The plan is to post something tonight, during the dreck that is Vampire Diaries.