Thursday, June 16, 2011

Baby Baby Baby Baby Baby

Nilda is about 14 weeks pregnant and I can finally talk openly about it. It's weird to talk about it since it still seems so tenuous and temporary. Here's some of what's been going on.

  • The kid's due date is December 17, so his/her Christmas is pretty much fucked.
  • Following the Jewish tradition of naming after those who passed (at least the tradition in my family), we are going to be giving the kid a name that begins with "C," after Nilda's dad, Carlos.
  • "C" is a surprisingly difficult letter for a name. It's easier with a girl, but boy names are tough. "Carlos" will make the kid an enigma at Hebrew school, and I'll let you guess why "Christian" doesn't work.
  • Yes, we want to know if it's a boy or a girl. I don't understand how people could wait. If you have the ability to know, why would you want to wait until you have to find out? It will be just as much of a surprise now as it will when the kid is here!
  • We're convinced it's a boy.
  • Nilda has been feeling well. It took a while for her to even feel pregnant, then she started feeling some nausea and her most significant complaint has been headaches. Then there's the mood swings. We were sitting on the sofa and Nilda says, "Oh no, I'm getting sad" and starts bawling for no reason. I know sweetheart, it's a very moving episode of Deadliest Catch.
  • We finally have a use for the second bedroom. Nilda saw a t-shirt online that said, "Baby Finally On Board." It was quite appropriate.
  • We should still be able to go out for New Years Eve, right? I mean the kid will be two weeks old by then. Yeah, that should be enough time.
  • Stella is ridiculously excited, as are my parents.
  • My mother cannot keep a secret. We went in for Memorial Day and told my whole family about it at a barbecue. My Uncle Alan says to me, "You know, I already knew Nilda was pregnant. When your parents came over earlier this week, I asked how you guys were. She said, 'Nilda...is...EXCELLENT.'" Good secret keeping, Mom!
  • We're excited for you, Baby C. You're gonna love it here. Just don't get poop on the sofa or else Mommy will kill you. Trust me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!! One of your best posts, ever!! Is it possible for me to be as excited about this as you are? Of course not, but rest assured I am very VERY EXCITED!!

And for the record, if it is a boy, the poop on the couch isn't what you should be worried about. the pee will be everywhere. For the rest of your life. (We're still trying to teach Luke the art of aiming--unsuccessfully; and Noah came home from school a couple of weeks ago wearing different pants, because it's apparently very hard to aim when your "penis is sticking straight up").

but most importantly, if you're giving the 2nd bedroom to the kid, where are WE going to sleep? Because remember, all 5 of the Tombacks will be staying with you when we come to visit next April.
;-)

the wife said...

laughing!!!

70MPH70 said...

Anna and I are really excited for you too!!! Congratulations!!!

We'll bring our boys over for you to watch for a few weeks so that you can practice if you like. Our aim ain't much better.

As for Baby names with "C", here are a few to throw in the mix:

-Chaim, nice for hebrew school :)
-Charlie, for Carlos
-Celina, a popular name in my family
-Cleo, if she is psychic
-Craig, a nice all-American name
-Candy, probably not good if you want to keep her off the pole (Chris Rock joke)

Good luck!

the wife said...

I'd like to see you pronounce and explain "Chaim" to my Spanish-only speaking relatives, Jeff! ha ha

DorothyMantooth said...

We're so excited, tooooooo!!!

Also, I have a friend named Carver. Who, when I first met him, I asked whether his parents were really into serial killers. So there's that...
(Cool story, bro.)

Caleb is a nice name! It's totally from the Bible, yo.

DorothyMantooth said...

Oh! And if it's a girl, it's totally Caroline. Right? Right!

Chanukah is a nice name and starts with C said...

Yay!!!!! So happy for you guys. Look forward to this blog taking it up a notch as parent chronicles.

As for fourth bullet, it's funny, I have the exact opposite reaction. I always think, why would someone WANT to know the sex in advance?! I imagine then that people just sit around and daydream gender stereotypical fantasies about their future kid and have explosions of either pink or blue in the home. And then what happens when your son is Chris Colfer's character from Glee or your daughter is Chastity/Chaz Bono?

Also, it's fun to be surprised. I swear. Thus the saying "It's a Boy!" or "It's A Girl!" which sort of don't make seem relevant these days.

But to each his/her/its own and babies are happy news no matter how much info we have. (You'll totally be posting all the sonogram pics, right?)