Friday, March 13, 2009

What It's Like To Be A Twin

  • Every time I hear my voice on the answering machine, I think it's Andrew.
  • One time I went into Andrew's work. It was like like having amnesia. I had no idea who anyone was, but they all said hello to me.
  • Meeting Andrew's co-workers is always fun. When they finally realize I'm not Andrew, they stare at me like I'm the weirdest thing they've ever seen. Then they invariably say, "Weird!!!"
  • When I talk, they say, "He sounds like him, too!"
  • Every now and then, I'll be walking down the street and someone will say hi to me. That means they think I'm Andrew.
  • When someone stares at me in line at the movie theater, I know they think I'm Andrew.
  • Mom was grateful for caller id, so she could finally tell us apart on the phone.
  • Being a twin doesn't mean I don't also think that twins are weird. One time in high school, I saw identical twins on the bus and wondered, "I wonder what that is like."
  • We always shared birthday parties together. I never minded. I still refer to my birthdays in the third person.
  • No matter what each of us is doing, if we both do it together, it's funny.
  • Andrew and I were both counselors at a day camp. The kids would always ask, "are you you or your brother?" To this day, that's the still the stupidest question I've ever heard.
  • The only person I've ever been happy to think I was Andrew is Lilah, but she's old enough to know better now.
  • The nieces can't tell us apart, so they will generally call us both either Uncle Andrew or Uncle Brian, taking turns with both names. I take it as a major victory when they call Andrew "Uncle Brian."
  • When someone tells me they saw my twin, they're probably right.
  • I'm not sure I know what I look like, but I know I look like Andrew.
  • I have a hard time telling us apart in baby pictures.
  • There was one time when I was confused. We were kids and I thought Andrew and I were playing chicken by walking into each other. We both laughed, then I walked into the mirror.

3 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Dude! For the last time, you guys have totally different noses!!

You also don't really sound alike to me...

But that doesn't make you any less special. I mean speshul. ;-)

Mary said...

The Mr. and I are LOL right now. We miss you guys!

DorothyMantooth said...

Miss you, too, Mary!