Sunday, March 22, 2009

The New Apartment

In early February, Nilda and I found an apartment that we loved. Nilda found the listing on Friday morning, we went to see the apartment on Saturday morning, and by Monday evening we had made an offer. After six rounds of counteroffers, we finally signed the contract in early March.

To be honest, I'm getting a bit sick of the process. Nilda made me go look at appliances this weekend. This meant spending two hours on the subway to go to BUMBLEFUCK BROOKLYN to go to some place that Nilda said we just HAD to go to. After looking at all the brands and styles and features, I had an epiphany on Friday night that kitchen design could be an enjoyable process. I was simultaneously longing for the time when it would be over. All I want is an ice maker, Nilda, that's all I want.

Anyway, now that we are "in contract," I'm finally able to blog about the place. It's a fantastic pre-war art deco apartment, in fantastic condition. The only thing that needs to be updated are the kitchen and bath, which, you can probably guess is the best possible scenario for Nilda. Here are some pics, check out the archways and the herringbone floors:



Here's the main bedroom, there's a dining room that will serve as a second bedroom:This picture was taken on the first day we saw the apartment. You can see Nilda thinking, "Hmmm, how can I do this in a way that's most expensive?"

That other woman in the picture is our broker. She's great, and really outgoing for a hobbit. Here's the kitchen. As Nilda says, "All this is gonna go..."

The bathroom is a hideous shade of 1940s golden urine. I had to fight to keep the tub ("A standing glass shower is so much more elegant, Brian!"), but I think I won that one. Everything else is going to be changed.

We can't move in until the bathroom renovation is finished. You can live without a kitchen, but you can't live without a toilet. We're hoping to close in late April. Nilda told me the other day that I'm going to have to start being more handy. Nilda, I've been thinking about it, and I'm not going to be doing that.

One of the best features of the apartment is the neighborhood, Inwood. I would have never thought I'd be excited to live someplace so far north of mid-town, but it's really a great place to live. It's got a small town feel, but it's still on the subway. There's more, but I'll save that for another post.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, that long subway ride saved us a LOT of money so keep your complaints to a minimum. Oh, and we're still getting glass shower walls for the tub. Muah!

TheMediaDude said...

I find my best epiphanies come when I take walks. Wouldn't you agree, Brian?

TheMediaDude said...

Oh, and CONGRATS!!! I can't wait to vomit in and around your new toilet during next year's holiday party. :?

Mary said...

We can't wait to sleep in your dining room!! Congratulations!

Boywonderesq said...

I find that my best epiphanies come when I'm just hanging out.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys! I am so glad to see someone surviving and thriving in the recession. Renovating perfectly usable rooms is one way to combat debilatating unemployment.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yael, I'm trying to single-handedly resucitate the US economy, only American made materials for us! Now the European appliances, that's another story. LOL ;-)
But, we are recycling the old stuff and donating the fixtures, etc. to a green renovation company.

DorothyMantooth said...

So you're saying you root for the Blue Jays up there?

Anonymous said...

can baseball allegiances change in less than 10 blocks?

DorothyMantooth said...

Expos?