Monday, February 2, 2009

What's Happened To You, Steve Martin?

Steve Martin is not and has never been a "comedic genius." Yeah, The Jerk and even All of Me was good, but never ground breaking. Now he's sunk to a new low. And I'm not even talking about The Pink Panther 2. If anyone missed the banjo song he played on SNL this weekend, you were lucky. It was like watching a terrible car accident in slow motion. I kept waiting for it to get funny, then realized it was only getting worse. I have no problem with him writing kids songs, but why would you play one of those on SNL, which is clearly not a kid audience? It shows just how out of touch he is with his audience. Let's spread the misery:



The thing is, Steve Martin is a really, really good banjo player. You have to look at some of his early, live material to get a sense of how good he was and, by comparison, how bad what he did on SNL was:


Late for school, Mr. Martin. Late for school, indeed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually do think Steve Martin is a comic genius, but I agree with pretty much everything else in your post.

The banjo song was a train wreck. I thought he was doing a parody of something that he was actually doing, so I kept waiting for a punchline that never came.

I won't be seeing him in The Pink Panther either.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha what Bill said.

TheMediaDude said...

I thought it was OK. He's still a good banjo player but his singing lacked personality, charm, or any sense that the audience was involved in the joke. It felt cheesy and uncomfortable.

TheMediaDude said...

I put this on for Lilah, to see if maybe a kid would appreciate the song more. Her screams of "No! No! No!" makes me think she's not really into it.

DorothyMantooth said...

I don't think there WAS any joke in the song, Older Twin! And that's why it was so inappropriate for a comedy show. (So what Cousin Bill said!*)

*Except for the comedic genius part. I'm with BDub on that.

DorothyMantooth said...

Lilah's got good taste!