Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Obama Campaign

As an experiment, I attended an Obama campaign organization event for upper Manhattan. I would never go on my own, but Nilda luuuvs Obama and I went for her. Here’s my report:

  • Flashback. In freshman year of college, I wore a sandwich board around East Halls to support Josh Bokee for USG president. Some exchange student from Australia came up and asked me why I would do that. It was at that moment that I decided I would not campaign for any candidate. Ever.
  • Obama uses the internet better than any candidate before. The main method of communication for supporters is email. More importantly, everything is centralized on my.barackobama.com.
  • Turnout was huge. The room, about the size of a classroom, was packed, with many people standing.
  • They should pass a law against sinks that splash water all over your pants and make it look like you peed yourself.
  • The event was organized by Mark Levine (Levine = Jew), the upper Manhattan city councilman or something, and one of the few NY politicians to support Obama. He was there with his Hispanic wife and two sons, and spoke Spanish to them. Nilda was sold.
  • Look, kid, I know you're excited, but there's no need to be a dork about it.
  • I thought the "special guest," former NY state senator Leichter, would be a tool. Turns out he was awesome.
  • Any candidate who can convince Nilda to stand outside of a polling place on Super Tuesday – in the cold! – is a genius and should be President.
  • There are a lot more older people here than I expected. I thought old people liked Hillary.
    No one is allowed to mention Hillary Clinton’s name, like Voldemort. Her supporters are referred to as "They" and Hillary is called "You Know Who."
  • Upper Manhattan, 96th Street and up, has 6 delegates. This is a huge number, especially when considering that the state of New Hampshire has 9 delegates. Half of all the voting in NY takes place in the five boroughs.
  • Obama supporters can’t decide whether or not they’re beating Clinton. They talk about Hillary’s organization and political machines, but stress Obama’s grass roots nature. They say Hillary’s leading in the elections, but that Obama has more delegates. They focus on "momentum" to avoid the issue.
  • How can two people that ugly make a baby that cute?
  • I like Obama. He’s faltered a few times in the campaign, especially in the early debates, and he’s got to learn how to talk to Hillary. But he’s got a movement behind him that is contagious and that could actually change the world. But I still ain’t campaigning for anyone.

3 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

Servicey!
Next time, you should totes post video.

Also, Nilda's doing WHAT on Super Tuesday??!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! You're a wonderful husband, sweety!
And that's right, I will be braving the cold (my archenemy!) on Super Tuesday for Obama.

"In this election - in this moment - let us reach for what we know is possible. A nation healed. A world repaired. An America that believes again." -Barack Obama.

TheMediaDude said...

"Dude, you gonna pass that joint or what?"
- Obama circa '84