Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Almost One Year


It's been a while and a lot's happened, so let's get to it.  Charlie went through the I'm adorable stage, the "I'm sick and need mommy stage," the "I'm a little shit stage," and finally back to another "I'm adorable" stage.  He also desperately needs a haircut, but Nilda says it's "cute" and we'll wait until after his first birthday. In the meantime, he'll keep looking more and more like Doc from Back to the Future.
Speaking of Back to the Future, check out McFly in his life preserver.
That picture was taken at the BJ's in Pelham while we were getting supplies for Charlie's way-too-big-Hispanic birthday party.  BJ's is amazing and going there makes me want to stock up for the apocalypse. The only person who likes it more than me is Stella, who goes freaking nuts.  Yes, of course you need that much mayonanise.  Charlie loved it, too.  I don't think I've ever seen him as happy as he was standing up in the shopping cart. 
"Onward, to savings!"
We had gone to the beer distributor the day before and Charlie went berserk.  All he wanted to do was get on the dirty, dusty floor and crawl around, and he was desperately willing to squirm his way out of your arms to do so.  We finally had to let him crawl around on top of the boxes, which is obviously the safer option. 
I can't believe Charlie is going to be one year old. It feels like both a full lifetime and the blink of an eye at the same time. Here's the latest updates:
  • Charlie's starting to go to sleep later.  He will let you know when he's ready by literally laying down on the floor.  
  • He's getting a temper, too. When he doesn't get what get wants, he storms away crying, stomping his hands as he crawls.
  • Charlie will gladly help you remove your toilet paper off that cumbersome roll into an elegant and convinient pile on the floor. 
  • Charlie's not walking yet, which Nilda says is a good thing. Since Andrew and I didn't walk until about 22 months, this is how I know he's my son.
  • Charlie loves to splash in the bath and now conscripts me to do it for him.  He takes my hand and puts it in the water and grunts until I splash for him.
  • Charlie says "Mama," "Dada" and "yum yum," and sometimes he even says them in the appropriate context. 
All he wants is Mommy.  I may be fun, but Mommy is where shit gets real.  Even tonight, I did a great job of giving him his bottle to get him ready to go to sleep, but all he wants to do is get on the floor and keeps crying while staring at the door.  I think this means he wants to stay up, but then Mommy walks in and he collapses on her shoulder to go to sleep. Like Forrest says, "Mommy is magic."  Oh, and spit bubbles are hilarious.
Note to both readers who get notifications of this blog by email (especially you, Julie): you cannot see the videos through the email.  You actually have to go to a computer and (sigh) go to boywonderesq.blogspot.com to see them, but not on an ipad.  I know, it's like the blog isn't even worth it.  But hey, it's Hannukah!  Charlie  doesn't know what that is, but it involves fire and presents so he likes it.  
Check out how he different he looks from one year ago.   
PS - We went to cousin Lilah's awesome birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. Here is Charlie's grainy mug shot to prove it.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, hello??? Where are the birthday party pictures???

Unknown said...

We're working on it (picture of construction men).