Monday, June 11, 2012

Bear Mountain

Before we got the car, as a selling point, I used the fact that we could use the car to do all kinds of things. Activities! Nilda has interpreted that to mean that we now have to visit a whole bunch of state parks this summer, and we're dragging Charlie along with us. We began by going to Bear Mountain this past weekend. Nilda and I instantly discussed how the place reminded us of the resort from Dirty Dancing, with a lot less dancing and a lot more Hispanics and Asians with open fires. I suggested we take one of the "easy" hiking routes around the lake. Nilda replied that I could go to hell and die.
We took Charlie to the carousel and his mouth dropped when he saw it.  It has Charlie's three favorite things: lights, other kids and things that move in a circle.  What's not to like?  We didn't talk about it, but I know Nilda was thinking about what it would be like to throw Charlie's first birthday party at the carousel, even though Charlie's not even six months yet.  That's because she crazy.
We then went to the mountain trailside zoo area, which is basically a mini hike through a wooded area with animals at various points along the way.  I was one of those dads that holds his kid while pointing and says, "Hey, look at this shit!" 
This is the picture that I made the weird dude with a walking stick take of the three of us.  You know someone's hard core when they go to the kid's part of the park with their own walking stick.  The trash can near the bears already had two diapers in it before we added Charlie's contribution. 
We take Charlie to places, but he sleeps through most of it.  What's confusing is that we're so happy he's sleeping that we don't even think that he's missing anything.  At this point, Nilda and I agreed that though we were having a good time, we were ready for the zoo to be over.  Then we saw the exit sign.  It was our favorite part of the zoo.

Coincidentally, Bear Mountain is located near Bear Mountain Bridge.  It was the world's longest suspension bridge when it was built, which I only know because I inherited my father's nerd gene.  Charlie may not be able to escape it.  It makes you irresistible to women. 
We stopped by the cafe at the park to feed Charlie and rehydrate with alcohol.  It's amazing how well beer and a baby go together.  Charlie had mango for the first time and went a bit overboard. 
We went back to the carousel and rode in one of the stationary benches, even though they're lame.  Charlie doesn't know the difference and loved it anyway.

My plan to get Nilda to go to Red Lobster was unsuccessful, but I'm considering playing the Father's Day card for that.  They just finished king crab season on Deadliest Catch and I only have so much will power.

5 comments:

DorothyMantooth said...

ALSO coincidentally, Bear Mountain is located near Woodbury Commons! For shame.

Boywonderesq said...

Woodbury Commons on a Sunday in June? ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?!?!? It's not like I didn't think about it, though. There's an Applebee's there.

DorothyMantooth said...

Oh, Jer knows that Applebee's so well.

(And yeah, going there on a Sunday is the devil's business.)

Unknown said...

Why do y'all make me miss you so much (that goes for the posts and the commentary thereafter). You make me miss you so much...and you refuse to come to Minnesota to visit me... it's just terrible. Terrible.

kate said...

ahhh...I also know that Applebees, though it's been too long. I hope you made it to Red Lobster,exciting!!!!