Friday, June 1, 2007

Good music

Every now and then, there's one album that I can't get enough of, and that I can't get out of my head. I then become engrossed with the band and can't stop listening to them. Until, of course, I get bored of them. Its a cyclical thing. Here's a few bands that are worth checking out:

Mates of State: I first saw this husband/wife duo when they opened for Cake years ago. The wife, who was pregnant with their first child at the time, plays keyboards while he plays drums. They sing nonsensical but insightful lyrics in sweeping melodies that make you forget there's no bass or guitar. They're spectacular and I highly recommend them. Check out their albums in this order: Team Boo, Our Constant Concern, My Solo Project, Bring It Back.

Matt Pond PA: This is a full on band from Long Island that has great, strong chord structures and a well-utilized violin. I had heard of them because they're on the same label as Mates of State, but I didn't get into them until Matt gave me Several Arrows Later, a remarkable album.

Phish: Of course, but they are remarkably good. The release of Colorado '88, a tape of a show made long before they were well known or successful, shows how gifted and unique the band really is. They're actual musicians, rather than rock stars, and you have to respect how they made it on their own terms, and ended it on their own terms, as well. When I'm into Phish, I can't listen to anything else, even if I want to. But when I'm sick of them, every song is boring. I'm sick of them right now, but that will change in a few months, I'm sure.

2 comments:

corey said...

Hi, Brian. First of all, yay for new blogs and more fodder for office procrsatination. Secondly, I echo your sentiments about Mates of State and Matt Pond PA. (Phish, not so much.) And so I will share with you my current media picks. Have you heard Matt Pond Pa's "Winter Songs"- it's really pretty, fuzzy music with killer covers of Holiday Road and Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. which brings me to my second pick- NMH's ITAOTS. Awesome. Band of Horses- Everything All the Time. Anything by the incredibly prolific Brian Jonestown Massacre and you should check out the documentary about them and the Dandy Warhols- DiG. Finally, the documentary Air Guitar Nation which I just saw and found good for laughs and somewhat touching. There you have them- my media picks for June 2007. Happy blogging...

Boywonderesq said...

Thanks for the comment, Corey! And thanks for being neither Andrew nor Bill. I haven't gotten "winter songs," but I'm definitely curious. They recorded it during the middle of the summer. You should blog about it...